Perspective | Photographers edit photographers: The late Stanley Greene called Yuri Kozyrev’s war photography ‘lyricism in darkness’

An American war photographer selects the work of a Russian war photographer.

In the final installment of our series featuring the Noor agency photographers editing one another, we show 10 images by the renowned Russian war photographer Yuri Kozyrev chosen by the late Stanley Greene.

Stanley Greene, a War Photographer Who Stayed When Others Left

While he knew the peril, the compulsion to document what people were experiencing would allow him no other course of action.

“Stanley was the only non-Middle Eastern photographer who managed to make an image of the events of that day in Fallujah,” another friend, the American photographer Samantha Appleton, said. “People often ask war photographers if they are scared doing their work. It is not fear so much as how one responds to the stress of fear. Stanley was scared that day, and said so whenever he told the story. He nearly lost his life when he tried to get closer to the bridge, and pulled out of the situation just in time. Before he did so, however, he created images that were indisputable proof that the war was only just beginning.”

RIP Stanley Greene

  Stanley Greene is gone. Dear friend, colleague, and a dedicated photojournalist to the core. Member of the prestigious NOOR @noorimages photo agency, Stanley most often pursued significant s…

The karma was unbelievable .Stanley was in the center, part of the buzz, relentless in his effort to do the right thing. The real deal. You can’t buy “Black Passport”. Sold out long ago. I hope it gets re published. Testament to one of the finest chroniclers of our time.

Stanley Greene, Whose Camera Captured War’s Brutality, Dies at 68

Mr. Greene, one of the leading war photographers of his generation, was a founding member of Noor Images who covered global conflicts with unblinking honesty.

“You want to sit there comfortably with your newspaper and blueberry muffin, and you don’t want to see pictures that are going to upset your morning,” Mr. Greene said in a 2010 interview with the Lens blog of The New York Times. “That is the job of a journalist, to upset your morning.”

Perspective | Poet. Follower of light. Storyteller. A remembrance of photographer Stanley Greene.

American poet photojournalist, Stanley Greene, died after a long illness in Paris surrounded by his dearest friends and fellow photographers.

Greene followed the light even into the darkest places. He was best known as a conflict photographer for his work in Chechnya, Russia, Iraq and Syria. He had the gift of finding beauty in the most extraordinarily disturbing circumstances. His books, “Open Wound” and “Black Passport,” are gorgeous journeys through his life by way of his haunting photographs.

Obituary: Stanley Greene, Award-Winning Photojournalist, 68 | PDN Online

Stanley Greene whose long-term work on the Caucuses and other conflicts won 5 World Press Photo Awards, died in Paris on May 19.

Photographer Andrea Bruce, a fellow member of NOOR, describes Greene as “a poet.” “His rage at injustices equaled his love for his friends, for photography and its power,” Bruce says. “That is the hardest thing to explain: his pure love for others, as if he was balancing the hatred he found in war.”

Stanley Greene: Front Man « The Leica Camera

From punk concerts to tank trenches, the photographer Stanley Greene reveals his great versatility. Issue No. 2 of the M Magazine presented images he took in San Francisco in the early eighties; with his camera on hand, he threw himself into the excesses of the party scene, getting carried away by sex, drugs and rock ’n’ roll. LFI 7/2015 published a series he took in Oakland, documenting his encounters with whores, gangsters, dealers, and people with only one aim in mind: to get off the streets. He talks about change, music and the meaning of feedback.

Iraq's Current Conflict Foretold

As rebel forces capture Iraqi cities, veteran photojournalists look at the lessons learned and the obstacles that lie ahead for independent coverage in the region.

The growing instability in Iraq was on the minds of members of the NOOR collective, who were in New York last week for an agency meeting. Andrea Bruce, Stanley Greene, Yuri Kozyrev and Kadir Van Lohuizen — all veterans of covering the war — spoke with Michael Kamber, the author of “Photojournalists on War: The Untold Stories From Iraq,” an oral history of those who covered the conflict. Their conversation has been edited.

western front by stanley greene

But in San Francisco, it was particular. It was called “Art and Music” The Mutants, The Dills, Flipper, Crime, SVT, The Yanks, Tuxedo Moon, The Tubes, Los Lobos, The Avengers, Dead Kennedys and Romeo Void, U2. Many of them were students at the San Francisco Art Institute. Members of The Mutants and Romeo Void of course..Chris Isaac of Silver Tones too and Bonnie Hayes & The Wild Bunch – Bonnie Hayes was one of the coolest girls in the punk scene. I was surrounded by these rock bands, both punks and artists. Suddenly these groups wanted images. They call me and say: “Stanley, I know you have pictures, you know, this magazine wants to do an article on us, etc.” And without realizing it, I became a professional photographer while still an art student….”

Stanley Greene: Putin’s Russia

It starts with her pregnant with twins and concludes when they are 8 years old – a moment when Caruccci saw a change and a growing independence in her children. The intimacy and sensuality for which she has become so well known is amplified and, as she says in her introduction, she has never seen so much as she does as a mother. Her gaze has certainly become more intense, and her actions stronger, as she hugs, dresses, holds, licks, pulls, feeds, caresses and cares for her children.

Stanley Greene Wins 2013 Aftermath Grant | PDNPulse

Stanley Greene has won the 2013 Aftermath Grant for his proposal to create a new project, “The Rise of Islam in the Caucasus,” The Aftermath Project organization announced today. The Aftermath Grant, worth $20,000 in 2013, supports photographers whose wor

for his proposal to create a new project, “The Rise of Islam in the Caucasus

Look3 Report: Stanley Greene on Luck, Film and Supporting Young Photographers | PDNPulse

With equal measures of grace, humor, wisdom, and humility, photojournalist Stanley Greene regaled a packed house with tales from his storied career at the LOOK3 festival in Charlottesville last night. Greene sat on stage at Charlottesville’s Paramount the

A central theme of many of Greene’s stories was the recurring role that chance has played throughout his career, in large and small ways. “I honestly believe photography is 75 percent chance, and 25 percent skill,” he said in response to a question from an audience member toward the end of the talk. “In accidents, we really discover the magic of photography.”

LOOK3 Festival Announces Featured Artists and Speakers | PDNPulse

LOOK3 Festival of the Photograph announced today that Alex Webb, Donna Ferrato and Stanley Greene will be the featured “INsight” artists at this year’s festival, to be held June 7–9 in Charlottesville, VA. As featured artists the photographers will create

Alex Webb, Donna Ferrato and Stanley Greene will be the featured “INsight” artists